24. The Antichrist
Read 2 Thess. 2:1-12 before continuing this lesson.
1. HOW DOES PAUL DESCRIBE THE WORK OF ANTICHRIST?
1AN 2 Thess. 2:1, 2 Paul warns the believers in Thessalonica: Donít believe anyone who says that Jesus had already come. Such is the spirit of Antichrist. (The Greek word that is attached to Christ"anti"can be translated "against" or "instead of" or "in the place of." So Antichrist will be a person or group of persons who either are against Christsuch as heathen, etc.or someone or a group of people who set themselves up to be in a place where only Christ should be.)
2. WHAT DOES PAUL SAY MUST HAPPEN BEFORE JESUS COMES?
2 AN 2 Thess. 2:3 Before Jesus comes there will arise a rebellion in which the man of lawlessness (the Antichrist) will appear.
3. HOW DOES PAUL DESCRIBE THE MAN OF LAWLESSNESS?
3AN 2 Thess. 2:4 Observe the list:
will oppose and will exalt himself over
4. WHEN DID PAUL SAY THE ANTICHRIST WOULD BEGIN HIS WORK?
4AN 2 Thess. 2:7 The Antichrist was already at work in the days of Paul, and he would continue to work until the one who is holding him back moves out of the way.
5. WHAT POWER HOLDS BACK THE ANTICHRIST, AND WHEN WILL THIS POWER MOVE OUT OF THE WAY?
5AN Rev. 7:1-3 There are angels that are holding back the strife that Antichrist is causing, and they will not move out of the way until Godís servants are sealed in their foreheads.
6. HOW AND WHEN WILL THE ANTICHRIST BE DESTROYED?
6AN 2 Thess. 2:8 The Antichrist will be destroyed by Jesus at the Second Coming. The Antichrist has great power, and as we shall see, all the world worships him. Nothing and No one can stop him . . . except Jesus. And Jesus will not let the power of this lawless one last forever. The Antichrist will be destroyed by the brightness of Jesusí coming.
7. HOW WILL THE ANTICHRIST WORK, AND WHAT KINDS OF THINGS WILL HE DO?
7AN 2 Thess. 2:9 He works according to the plans Satan has set out for him to do. He displays all kinds of signs, miracles and wonders.
8. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE SIGNS AND MIRACLES OF THE ANTICHRIST?
8AN 2 Thess. 2:10-12 The Antichrist, through itís signs and miracles designs to deceive those who are perishing.
9. WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE PERISHING?
9AN 2 Thess. 2:10, 11 They are perishing because they refused to love the truth. If they loved the truth, they would be saved, but instead they choose to believe a lie.