24b. The Antichrist
A REVIEW OF THE LAST STUDY OF ANTICHRIST AS DESCRIBED IN
2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-12
Antichrist opposes and exalts himself over God;
takes over God’s temple; claims to be
• He works
every sort of evil like Satan; works
counterfeit signs, miracles, wonders
• He sends
delusions and powerful deceptions to
those who refuse to love the truth
• He deceives
those who do not believe the truth
and who delight in wickedness
READ DAN 7:7-26 before continuing
1. DESCRIBE THE FORTH BEAST.
1ANb Dan 7:7 Daniel describes him as rather a scary animal that
gains control of the whole Earth. It had large iron teeth; it crushed and
devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. He had 10
2. WHAT HAPPENED WITHIN THE HORNS, AND HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE OTHER
2ANb Dan. 7:8 A little horn rises up among the 10 horns, and when
he comes up, he destroys three of the horns.
3. HOW DOES DANIEL DESCRIBE THE LITTLE HORN?
3ANb Dan. 7:8 It had eyes like a man, and a mouth which spoke
boastfully. This horn evidently sets itself up to rule the world, at the
expense of truth.
4. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BEAST AND TO THE LITTLE HORN?
4ANb Dan 7:11 The beast was slain and thrown into the fire on
account of the words of the little horn.
5. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE LITTLE HORN?
5ANb Dan 7:23-25:
He comes up among the 10 kingdoms of western
It subdues 3 kings—destroys them
He would speak against the Most High
He would persecute God’s people
He would think to change set times and the law
He would persecute the saints for 42 months—
Read: Rev. 13:1-8 before continuing
6. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BEAST IN THESE VERSES?
6ANb Rev. 13:1-8
• He has blasphemous names on his heads
• The dragon (Satan via pagan Rome) gave him his
power, seat (the
city of Rome), and authority
• One head was fatally wounded; the wound was
healed; all the world
followed the beast.
• They worshiped the dragon (Satan) and they
worshiped the beast,
and were awed with him.
• He blasphemes God’s name, His throne, all that
live in Heaven
• He exists for a time, times, and half a time—1260
• All the world will worship the beast.
The only power in history that fulfills these three prophecies is the
• The lawless one, the great beast of Dan 7, and the
Revelation 13 represent the Antichrist—
• The Papacy arose from among the nations of
western Europe, in
• The Papacy sought to change God’s law by
changing the day of
worship from the 7th to the
first, and claims that the
change is a mark of her
power and authority in sacred
• The Papacy rose to political power by 538 A.D.
• The Papacy continued in power until France
gave it a "deadly wound" in 1798.
• Thus the Papacy reigned for 1260 years.
• The Papacy persecuted Christians and others who
did not believe
• To serve the Papacy is tantamount to worship.
SOME OF THE DOCTRINES OF THE PAPACY THAT ARE CONTRARY TO THE BIBLE.
still thinks that she has changed the day of
worship from Saturday to
• She Thinks that
she has eliminated the second
commandment which commands
that we not
• Although Jesus was sacrificed once for all (Heb.
9:28), the Papacy’s
mass is believed to be a
sacrifice of Christ, thus requiring Him to be
sacrificed again and again, day after day.
• The priests are given power by the Papacy to
create the body and
blood of Christ at the Mass;
thus they, as created beings,
believe that they are
• The confessional requires men and women to
confess their sins to a
priest who has the power to
forgive them, though the Bible clearly states
only God can forgive sins. In this way the Papacy
reaches into the
throne room of God and seeks to
take the place of Christ who only can
between God and man.
• The Papacy has made Mary out to be divine.
teaches that Mary was
sinless when she gave birth
to Jesus and that after His ascension, she, at
death, followed Him into Heaven. The Papacy
teaches that we must pray to Mary in
reach Jesus. However, the Bible teaches that Jesus
is our only mediator
between God and man.
• The Pope is believed to be God on Earth, carrying
the name "Vicar of
the Son of God."
• The official title of the pope is "Vicarius Filii Dei."
Roman numeral letters are added up
they yield 666.
V = 5 F = 0 D = 500
I = 1 I = 1 E = 0
C = 100 L = 50 I = 1
A = 0 I = 1
R = 0 I = 1
I = 1
U (V)= 5
S = 0
112 TOTAL 666
Even though the number fits that of the beast of Revelation 13, this is
not proof that the Papacy is the Antichrist. But it is another piece of
evidence that points out that we have come to the right conclusion.
Thus it becomes clear that, as Martin Luther and many other Protestant
Reformers believed, the Papacy has placed itself between God and man, and
fulfills all the markings of the Biblical Antichrist.